Laguna Splash Water Park Officially Opens
Tipton, PA – The Owners and Management Team of DelGrosso’s Park are excited to announce the opening of their 2016 water park expansion project, Laguna Splash.
This $12.5 million project is the largest in the Park’s 69 year history. A groundbreaking was held in early 2015 for the water park and front entrance expansion, and construction took place for 15 months. Laguna Splash is America’s only Italian-themed water park, and will showcase a Lazy River and Wave Pool set among Venetian-style archways, Roman frescos and fountains, and a 25-foot-tall replica of The Leaning Tower of Pisa. The Water Park will also host a number of new offices, ticket booths, and food stands.
A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be held for members of the media and invited guests on May 24th, 2016 at 11am. The water park will open to the public on Saturday May 28th.
Laguna Splash at a Glance:
Main Entrance Building/Guest Services
- Guests will be greeted by a dramatic, new grand entrance area with Italian-style architecture, archways, and artwork developed as part of the expansion project.
- The centerpiece of the grand entrance is a 12.5-foot-tall, 16-foot-wide antique fountain. The 8-ton water fountain is Italian-styled gold granite. Since the fountain was placed, guests have been tossing in loose coins. The Park will periodically collect this change and donate to various community non-profits throughout the season.
- The entrance area includes numerous ticket windows and a guest services office.
Wave Oceano – Wave Pool
- 311,500 gallons of water
- Recirculates 3,300 gallons per minute
- 14,604 square feet of surface area
- Zero entry to 6 feet deep
- Capacity – 525 people
- Features a hand-painted mural wall, designed by Hollidaysburg artist, Michael Allison. Allison created the underwater themed painting in four weeks. The painting features various aquatic animals and Neptune, the Roman God of Water.
River Lazio – Lazy River
- 328,123 gallons of water
- Nearly a ¼ mile long
- 2.4 feet deep
- Recirculates 3,960 gallons per minute
- Capacity – 880 people
- 16 Feet Wide: 8 Feet = Lazy River Side and 8 Feet = Crazy River Side
- Crazy River incorporates a number of interactive water features, including tipping wine barrels and vases.
- Leaning Tower of Pisa is the centerpiece of the river, stands 25-feet-tall, and sprays water.
- River Lazio takes its name from the Italian region of Lazio, the ancestral home of Marianna Pulcino, mother of Mafalda DelGrosso and creator of the original pasta sauce recipe that led to the creation of DelGrosso pasta sauce.
New Food Venues
In keeping with the DelGrosso Family obsession with high quality food, the new water park expansion project will also include four new food venues.
In partnership with Altoona Blair County Development Corporation and Penn State University’s Center for Food Innovation, headed by Dr. Pete Bordi, the DelGrosso Food Service team developed high quality menus to offer at the park’s new food venues. Using Penn State’s sensory lab, the food design team worked with local food manufacturers from all over Pennsylvania to develop a menu of food options of the highest quality for park patrons. This public-private partnership is designed to grow regional business and elevate the quality of goods and services for citizens of the region.
- Pasta Fresca: Guests can create custom pasta dishes by choosing their own pasta, different meats, vegetables, and then topping it off with their choice of DelGrosso sauce: Alfredo, Mac and Cheese, La Famiglia DelGrosso Uncle Joe’s Vodka Celebration Sauce, Hearty Meat Sauce, Marinara and Spicy Marinara. Each week, this stand will also feature a different DelGrosso flavored pasta sauce.
- Cheesesteaks Delizioso: This stand will feature a Philly Cheesesteak complete with Cheez Whiz, grilled onions, and chopped steak on a Philly-style roll. It will also feature our own DelGrosso Cheesesteak with DelGrosso pizza sauce, chopped steak, provolone cheese, and grilled peppers and onions on a soft roll. Fresh cut fries will be available at this location.
- Grill Americano: Guests will be able to enjoy some classic American favorites, including 6 oz. fresh, marinated char-grilled chicken breast sandwiches, ½ lb. char-gilled Angus burgers, and grilled hotdogs. Fresh cut fries will also be available at this location.
- Pizza Famosa: If you enjoy flatbread pizzas and stromboli, this will be the stand to visit. Featuring fresh stromboli with several filling choices, as well as numerous flatbread pizza combinations, including white pizza, buffalo chicken, and sweet chili BBQ chicken.
Carl Crider Jr., Park President and the eldest of Ferdinand and Mafalda DelGrosso’s 23 grandchildren, reflects on the new features: “Our family has been committed to expanding and improving the park for 69 years,” he says. “This next step shows our customers that we are continuing that commitment to new attractions and improvements, all while providing high-quality food and entertainment in a clean, safe, and friendly environment. That was my grandparents’ mission statement for the Park.”
The expansion project has created approximately 100-130 seasonal jobs in addition to the current 550 seasonal employees that the Park hires each year. Roughly half of the new employees will be lifeguards for the water park expansion. In preparation for the expansion, four full-time employees have already been added to the staff.
2016 Park Pricing
DelGrosso’s Park remains a Free Parking and Free Admission Park. Guests without paid admission will be able to walk into the Ride Park, as well as enjoy three of the new Water Side food stands and the new Laguna Gift Shop. Guests must have a paid admission wristband to enter the new water feature areas and proper admission to ride the Park rides. The All-Day Fun Pass, that will include both the Water Park and Rides, will be $29.95 in June, July & August. An All-Day Fun Pass in May & September will be $21.95 and includes the Water Park, when in season. DelGrosso’s Park will continue to have one of the lowest admission costs to comparable parks around the state.
Fair pricing is very important to the DelGrosso Family and Management. “My grandfather even included the words ‘fair pricing’ in his mission statement 69 years ago, and we are going to honor that by keeping the Free Parking and Free Admission into the Ride Park,” says Carl Crider, Jr.
Construction Time Lapse Video
To view the construction online, visit:
Follow DelGrosso’s Park & Laguna Splash on Social Media
Facebook: DelGrosso’s Amusement Park
Email Updated: Text the words PARKFUN to 22828 (standard message rates apply)